Saint-Gobain Crystals is an operating unit of Compagnie de Saint-Gobain, which is based in Paris, France.
Saint-Gobain was created in 1665 by Louis XIV’s Minister of Finance, Jean-Baptiste Colbert, to break Venice’s monopoly over the glass trade. Saint-Gobain supplied the mirrors for the Hall of Mirrors in the Palace of Versailles in 1684.
Has been established since:
1853 in Germany, 1889 in Italy, 1904 in Spain and Benelux, 1937 in Brazil, 1967 in the United States.
The Foundation of Saint-Gobain Crystals, Scintillation Products
Harshaw Chemical Company is the first major manufacturer to develop and produce scintillation crystals.
Quartz & Silice, a subsidiary of Saint-Gobain, begins production of optical crystals and scintillation crystals.
Bicron Corporation is established and begins production of NaI(Tl) scintillation ingots.
Saint-Gobain acquires Bicron Corporation and Harshaw brand products from Engelhard.
Crismatec-Grenoble is acquired. Crismatec becomes the new name for the Quartz & Silice entity.
Bicron Products Private Limited (BPPL) production facility is opened in Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Bicron acquires TGM Detectors and Gamma Laboratories.
All of the above businesses and brand names are united under the Saint-Gobain name.
Bicron Radiation Measurement and Protection division is sold to Thermo Electron.
Introduction of new scintillation crystals Lanthanum Chloride, Lanthanum Bromide and LYSO, which are later, marketed under the BrilLanCe and PreLude trademarks.
Saint-Gobain Crystals headquarters and Scintillation manufacturing operations move to new facility in Hiram, Ohio.